Thursday, May 25, 2017

Mindy Kaling Behind Closed Doors: An Inside Peek at Her Cool New York Apartment

Mindy Kaling in her newly designed NoLita apartment

David Land, One Kings Lane

Mindy Kaling might be famed for her comic and creative genius on “The Office” and “The Mindy Project,” but she’d be the first to admit that she is completely out of her comfort zone when it comes to home decor.

“I’m a very indecisive person,” Kaling admits. Case in point: In her Los Angeles home, “my style is just everything I’ve accumulated over the past 15 years.” Otherwise known as clutter.

So after buying an apartment in New York City recently, she was thrilled when designer Sally Gotfredson at One Kings Lane offered to deck out the place.

“I had the benefit of being in L.A. and working when Sally and the One Kings Lane team were decorating it, which was great because I couldn’t micromanage, which would have driven them crazy,” Kaling says. “Also, I got to be surprised like in a reality television show. And when I walked in, I couldn’t believe it. I thought, who is this chic person who lives here? It’s not me, it looks amazing!”

Mindy Kaling's freshly designed living roomMindy Kaling’s living room has a few of her favorite things.

David Land, One Kings Lane

Curious what her New York digs look like? Welcome to our exclusive photo tour, where Kaling points out her favorite things and Gotfredson explains how you can cop a few of these style tips yourself.

1. Design rooms around a few key things

Kaling’s three favorite things in her living room? “This amazing, square Moroccan pillow, which looks like it’s for the chicest, most elegant dog ever; the console under my TV, which, because I watch so much TV, my eye falls to all the time and it’s just the most beautiful color wood; and this glass coffee table, because it’s a really beautiful shape, but can also withstand the weight of my heavy feet.”

This console provides a gorgeous distraction from the TV aboveThis console provides a gorgeous distraction from the TV above.

One Kings Lane

Gotfredson says it’s best to pick just one or two “anchor pieces,” and design around them.

“That thing can be as tiny as a vase, or the color of your favorite coffee table book,” she says. “I think there is a huge trend of people having a bit of FOMO [fear of missing out] if they don’t use every piece they love in their home. But I would encourage people to choose one focal point or wow piece and build upon that, really listening to the room and not forcing anything. Once you start making decisions, the rest usually fall into place.”

2. Swap out your light fixtures

“This might seem boring, but there was this little revelation I had after Sally designed the apartment, which is that I love reading in bed now because she put sconces in the wall,” says Kaling. In the past, she says, “I used to get a bulky lamp and put it on my nightstand so I could never keep anything else [there] except for a pair of glasses, which would fall on the ground.”

But with sconces, “you have all this room free for all your things like your prescription medicines, which I have very many,” she quips. “I’m just kidding, I don’t, but that was brilliant and I love that.”

Mindy Kaling's newly redecorated bedroomInstalling sconces freed up precious space on the bedroom nightstand.

David Land, One Kings Lane

As Gotfredson points out, “I tell all my friends to swap out the light fixtures in their rental apartments. They think I’m crazy since it’s not a permanent home, but it makes a world of difference. Find a TaskRabbit, and you can change every flush mount, sconce, or chandelier in your place in under an hour.”

In fact, Kaling thinks the light fixture in her dining area “is probably the biggest statement of the entire apartment, because it is all wine glasses.”

Mindy Kaling apartmentKaling doesn’t cook much, but loves her dining area because of the light fixture.

One Kings Lane

3. Hide your shoes, and clear the coffee table

Another rule of thumb: “Never keep your shoes out in the open,” says Gotfredson. “It will always looks cluttered and dormlike. It’s worth sacrificing closet space or finding a little cabinet or armoire to hide them. Also, clean off your coffee table. I think it’s worth putting the remotes away every night, and keeping little more than books, a candle, and some fresh flowers on your table.”

This coffee table and pillow are among Mind Kaling's favorite piecesThe coffee table can hold a book, candle, and some fresh flowers.

David Land, One Kings Lane

4. Avoid decor that’s overly feminine (or masculine)

Kaling loves her newly decorated guest room, because, as she puts it, “It’s very cheerful and bright, but it’s not overtly or exclusively feminine. So I think I could have a man stay here for a while and they would find it really charming. So … George Clooney, if he needed a place to stay in New York City if he’s not in Lake Como or his mansion in the Hollywood Hills, I think he and Amal would enjoy this room.”

Mindy Kaling's light, bright guest roomThe light, bright guest room is neither too feminine nor too masculine.

David Land, One Kings Lane

So what’s the key to keeping a room from looking too girly, or like it’s straight out of a bachelor pad?

“Fewer, bigger, more thoughtful pieces,” says Gotfredson. “It was such a small room, we went for impact rather than quantity.”

5. Look for inspiration outside of Pinterest

“The place that I pulled the most inspiration from for this apartment was Instagram,” says Kaling. “I just follow a bunch of beautiful celebrities, because sometimes they post inside of their house and you can try to eke out their style from stalking them online.”

But Gotfredson also suggests looking for inspiration in more surprising places, too: “A trip to the Met, showcase houses, a walk around the D&D building’s showrooms, old films, and international design publications like Elle Decor Italia and Vogue Living Australia—it’ll take you out the Pinterest wormhole and hopefully infuse some freshness into your ideas.”

The post Mindy Kaling Behind Closed Doors: An Inside Peek at Her Cool New York Apartment appeared first on Real Estate News & Advice | realtor.com®.



from DIYS http://ift.tt/2rCwXby

No comments:

Post a Comment